Saturday, June 11, 2011

A Talk From the Heart

For those of you who aren't familiar with the Mormon church, the members give talks during the sacrament meetings. I have given many talks in my lifetime, however, I have never written one. I have always given someone else's talk from general conference or from one of he church magazines. Well, back in April of this year, I was randomly inspired to write about Faith. So I am going to share my words with you:

Faith is an extremely fragile thing. It’s not tangible, it has no taste or smell, and in many cases, it cannot be seen.

We all know the story of the boy and prophet, Joseph Smith. He questioned which church to join, he prayed about it, and he saw the Father and the Son. Joseph was only 14 years old when he mustered up the courage to pray for guidance. A young teenage boy … I remember when I was around the age of 14, I too, questioned religion. I did not know if the church was true. I believed there was a God. I believed Jesus was the Christ. But at the same time, I was not entirely certain. However, my moment of truth was maybe not as spectacular as Joseph’s, but I believe it may have been just as breath taking.

Throughout my teenage years, I was questioned on my beliefs as “the Mormon kid.” I had several friends who would always ask “Why do you do this?” or “Do you really believe Joseph Smith saw God?” and I’d always respond with “the CHURCH believes…” this continued on until I was about 16 or 17. Then I really began to wonder why I answered that way. Why was I constantly saying “the CHURCH believes” instead of “I believe?”

Being a teenager is … interesting, to say the least. I look back on it … sort of fondly, but never again would I wish to be one. I’ve done my time, and that is more than enough. Teenagers think they know everything. I did. During Sunday school lessons I was always thinking “I know this already, I’ve heard this lesson a hundred times before.” Which was true. I had heard the lessons many times, but I had never really listened to them. When I was 17, almost 18, I had a non-member boyfriend who wasn’t the greatest influence on me. However at that point in my life I had decided that if the church was true, I wanted a temple marriage, JUST IN CASE. So I had constantly nagged this boyfriend about coming to church with me. He came a few times, but he never really gathered anything from it. Then one day, he invited me to his church. At first I told him “no” but then he made the argument of “well I went to yours, so you should come to mine.” So I asked my parents, and they decided it was okay to go just once.

Well… that Sunday, when I got home, I walked into my parent’s bedroom where my father was reading his scriptures, and I told him “Dad, I know the church is true.”

I’m not going to bash any religion. I will say that it was very uncomfortable to me, though. It wasn’t reverent. Or at least it wasn’t the type of reverence I was used to. And I felt… empty. Like, something was missing. It was the strangest feeling. I almost felt hollow. At first I thought, “Well I’m just out of my comfort zone” but I later figured out that I was missing the companionship of the Holy Ghost.

When I was 16, I received my Patriarchal Blessing (for those of you who are unaware of what that is, it's basically personal revelation given to each person who asks for one. It's full of promises one will receive in their life if they live worthily for receiving them). I remember feeling substantial bliss when I heard the words, “Your Heavenly Father is pleased with the pattern of your life” I immediately had a stream of tears running down my face. My blessing continued on revealing spectacular promises throughout my life if I am to keep the commandments. But my favorite blessing that is mentioned is the following: My Patriarchal Blessing states that my testimony will be unshakable, and that it will cause those that hear it to have their hearts tremble.

Brothers and sisters, I assure you that I know that at least half of that particular promise has come to pass. I do have an unshakable testimony of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I KNOW that God is the Father and that Jesus Christ, our beloved brother and Savior, died for the remission of our sins. I hope that my words today will touch your hearts in a way that can strengthen your own testimonies.

Now, let me continue on with my story from my teenage years. Remember that non-member boyfriend? Well he and I ended up hitting a few bumps in the road. It got to the point where I viewed my family as a trial, instead of what they really are: the people I love most in the entire world. I ended up spending that summer away from home. Over that summer, I did a lot of fasting and praying, just as a final test, a final prayer … to see if this gospel is true or not. One evening, I was sitting alone outside. I looked up at the stars and asked out loud “Is the gospel true? Am I fighting for the right thing (meaning my temple marriage)?” and I had an overwhelming feeling of peace and comfort. Ever since, I have not questioned who I am or what I stand for. I am a witness of Christ, and I plan on letting my testimony of Him and His gospel shine through in everything that I do. That summer, I had truly gained a strong desire to be married in the temple, to have an eternal family, and to be the best I could possibly be. And I knew that without keeping the commandments, without my family, and without faith in my beloved Heavenly Father… I would fail. I wouldn’t gain my dreams of temple marriage, an eternal family, and I would not be the best I could possibly be. I read over my Patriarchal blessing countless times that summer. And I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the straight and narrow path was where I needed to be.

I ended up breaking off that relationship because of my desire to have a temple marriage. I was at institute one night with some friends, and then my boyfriend came in. Brother Williams, the Institute Director, asked the Young Single Adults, “What’s the one thing you want out of life?” some said “happiness” or “success” and my boyfriend leaned over and asked me “what do you want?” I told him “You know what I want.”

He stood up and walked out. I was furious. We ended up getting in a big fight, both in tears, and I asked him, “Do you honestly think you’ll ever give me a temple marriage? I want you to really think about it. Can you give me that?” and he got really quiet for a while and then told me “No.” Then I said “Okay, then. We’re done.” Mind you, this was one of the hardest decisions I had ever made. I loved this boy, and I cared about him. But he was not worth risking my eternal family for. Which, I mean, it all worked out for the best, I’m waiting for my sweet, sweet, missionary as we speak!

Now, another one of my friends asked me once, “How do you know God is real?” I told her “It just makes sense.” I mean if you really think about it, how can there NOT be a God? Let’s get a little scientific, here: if a single organism in our solar system was even just a hair off… we wouldn’t exist. If Earth was just a little closer to the sun, we’d combust, and if it was just a little further away from the sun, we’d freeze. Now let’s look at nature: there’s so much to nature. A seed falls into the soil, and the soil has amazing nutrients to help that seed sprout, wich the seed can then turn into anything from a blade of grass to a giant tree. And it all does it on its own. How could that be possible? How could any of this be possible? A loving Heavenly Father, who is brilliant beyond our human capacity, loves us enough to make this perfect science, this perfect balance for us to live in.

Now how do I know He’s there? That’s another question that was shortly followed by the first one, and my answer to my friend was that I can feel Him. She asked “How?” and I told her “the Holy Ghost.” I then explained that the Holy Ghost was sometimes administered through a physical feeling, and sometimes it was emotional. My friend became very curious about how the physical aspect of the Holy Ghost felt, so I told her to close her eyes. As soon as she had her eyes closed, I wrapped my arms around her and held her in a tender embrace. I had no other way of explaining the physical feeling I receive from the Holy Ghost. Words cannot do Him justice. He is the spirit of our Father in heaven.

I was 9 years old when I joined this church. Back then, it didn’t really make a whole lot of sense to me. My attention span has really never been the greatest. But as I grew older and I began to listen to the talks and prayers in Sacrament meeting, as I began to really listening to the lessons in Sunday school and in Young Women, as I began to read my scriptures and pray privately… I have heard the voice of God. I can even tell you what He sounds like. Sometimes, he sounds like my Dad. Sometimes, he sounds like my mom. Sometimes, it’s Susan Carpenter’s voice. Sometimes, it’s our lovely Bishop’s voice. Sometimes, it’s my own voice. Through the power of testimony and faith, I have had multiple witnesses of our Heavenly Father’s existence in my life. He’s administered through love and care.

So what is faith? The best definition of Faith that I can offer you, is “Love.” Heavenly Father has done everything for us out of love. How do I know Him? Through love. How did I gain a testimony? Through love. How do I share my testimony? Through love. He sent His son to die for us, because he loves us. Jesus Christ bled through every pore on his body, endured pain so great that it made God, the Almighty, tremble… because he loves us.

With Faith comes Obedience. Why? Because faith is believing. When you believe something or in someone, you get to know them; once you know them you gain a friendship, and with friendship comes love. “Obedience” is another word for “Loyalty.” Are we all not loyal to our beloved friends? Do we not listen to their guidance and counseling? Why should it be any different with our Heavenly Father? We love Him, trust Him, He is our greatest friend, so we should be loyal to Him.
Our loving Heavenly Father has promised us that He will keep His word if we obey His laws. At the beginning of each school year, my Father gives each of his children a blessing. At the beginning of the 2010-2011 school year, Heavenly Father promised me that if I prayed every day and read my scriptures that I would do well in my classes. Well, I’d like to let you know that I have been praying and reading my scriptures more regularly and I have passed the past two semesters with flying colors!

God does not give us trials that we are unable to overcome. He loves us. Granted, he will push us to be our best, just as any loving parent would do, but he will never ask us to do something we cannot accomplish. In the Book of Mormon, we read the story of Nephi and his family traveling out of Jerusalem. God asks Nephi and his brothers to go back into the city of Jerusalem and retrieve the golden plates from Laban. Laman and Lemuel were complaining saying that the Lord had given them a hard thing to do. Nephi’s response to his brother’s complaints was this scripture:

1 Nephi 3:7 “I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which He commandeth them.”

This is a good scripture to keep in mind when one struggles with keeping the commandments, or even when one is simply struggling with life’s daily challenges. Sometimes it’s hard to keep some commandments. We are human, we have flaws, we are not perfect, and we sin every day. Once upon a time, we were with Him in heaven, and we were among the 2/3rds of Heaven that chose to follow His plan. Look at yourself. You’re already halfway there. You’ve chosen to follow Him through your love and devotion; you have come to this Earth and gained a body. Now we need to try to be like Nephi and “go and do the thing which the Lord hath commanded” us to do. It’s not easy, but it is doable. Prayer plays a big factor in overcoming our daily challenges, no matter what those challenges may be. If we keep that relationship open with our Father in Heaven, we will be successful in all things.

Now, I’d like to formally bare my Testimony to you, dear Brother’s and Sister’s:
We are in the last days. There will be trials that will bring each of us to our knees in frustration and heart ache. The youth of our church are especially targeted by the adversary and he will try his hardest to break them down. I testify that Heavenly Father is there. When you are scared, feeling alone or abandoned, or if you’re just at your breaking point… cry out to your Father… He’s listening, and he’s willing to help His children. He just needs us to put our human pride aside and ask for it. He loves each and every one of us. He knows us. He knows the beginning from the end. We came to this Earth to be tested. So far, we’re doing pretty well, I think. Each day is both a trial and a blessing. Each trial IS a blessing. Every hardship we endure will make us stronger. Those who weep will someday have no reason to shed another tear. We are all sons and daughter of a Heavenly Father who loves us, and we love Him. Through faith and obedience, we will make it back to Him and live in eternal bliss. I leave these things with you and I testify of these things in the name of our beloved Savior, Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment